"Humour With Nicknames"
Post on: December 8, 2020
Using nicknames on others can be uncouth but they have a means of getting a point across — sometimes, they are socially acceptable with lots of chuckles accompanying them. Adults tend to give nicknames to their friends, not realising that their innocent children pick them up with the same fervour as what the nicknames were meant to represent. And being kids, they assume it’s the real name or as a “salutation of respect” bestowed upon the holder of the name.
I’ll narrate a true-life incident where a couple addressed their family-friend with the nickname, “Cross-eyed” since his eyes turned inwards towards the nose. As in most nicknames, this was uttered behind his back. One day they spotted “Cross-eyed” cycling past them. They very much wanted to relay an important message to him. The era was in the ‘80s where the telephone wasn’t available in their kampong (village), let alone a mobile phone.
They frantically asked their 7-year-old son to chase after “Uncle”. The gullible boy ran after the bicycle shouting, “Cross-eyed Uncle, Cross-eyed Uncle… Stop!” (the innocent boy constantly overheard his parents mentioned this name whenever they talked about uncle). I fret to think about how the man would have felt being “revered” with such a nickname!
Whenever this incident is recapitulated, it never fails to have us in stitches. It was especially hilarious listening to the episode narrated in one’s mother tongue with the cultural nuances added to spice up the expression.
Here are some hilarious nicknames to tickle your funny bones…
- They call him Arch — he always needs support.
- They call him Archaeologist — his career lies in ruins.
- They call him Aviator — he’s a real high-flyer.
- They call him Banana — he’s always getting skinned.
- They call him Playwright — he likes to make a Scene.
- They call him Bowler — he builds himself up by knocking everyone down.
- They call him Brown Sugar — he is so sweet and unrefined.
- They call him Chocolate Bar — he’s half nuts.
- They call him Dentist — he Bores everyone to tears.
- They call him Dictionary — he always has the last word.
- They call her Easter Egg — she’s painted on the outside and hard-boiled inside.
- They call him Elevator Operator — he’s always running people down.
- They call him Football — everyone kicks him around.
- They call him Harpist — he pulls strings to get ahead.
- They call him Jigsaw — When faced with a problem, he goes to pieces.
- They call him Masseur — he’s always rubbing it in.
- They call him Microscope — he magnifies everything.
- They call him Optician — two glasses of wine and he makes a spectacle of himself.
- They call him Parole — he interrupts you in the middle of a sentence.
- They call him Tonsillitis — he’s a pain the neck.
Let’s laugh in merriment; however, not at someone else’s expense. Nobody would want to be in an unfortunate situation as experienced by “Uncle cross-eyed”.
A humorous outlook in life makes it easier to cope with setback and adversities Do not hold back your laughter — laughter, unlike money, will not diminish if you share it. And neither does this Jolly Good Times article — share it with your kakis (buddies). Invite them to Like us on our Facebook and website.
#JollyGoodTimes #HumourWithNicknames #ShajiThomasVarughese